Friday, October 4, 2013

Friday I'm In Love - 4/10/13


Friday I'm In Love is a weekly feature.
It highlights what I loved over the past week.
Week = Friday to Friday.
May include things of a non-musical variety.

Pure Heroine


Lorde's debut album is finally out and let me tell you, it's quite the record.  I picked it up on Tuesday, along with a nice Tennis Court vinyl single, and the album has been in rotation non-stop.  Yeah, I'm a little worn out when it comes to hearing "Royals" for the millionth time, but the nine other tracks level out Pure Heroine to create a somewhat dark bass and beat driven sound.  "400 Lux" is my new jam.  Other standout songs are "Ribs" and "White Teeth Teens".  Definitely check it out if you've enjoyed The Love Club EP or "Tennis Court".



I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got


Okay, so Sinéad O'Connor and Miley Cyrus are having some issues.  It all started when Sinéad wrote an "open letter" to Miley after the junior twerker cited "Nothing Compares 2 U" as an inspiration for  her "Wrecking Ball" video.  Then Miley replied by mocking Sinéad's past struggles and everything started to crash and burn with a few more "open letters" and tweets.

Let's not focus on that fiasco.  Instead, I say this is the perfect moment to revisit a truly superb album.  Sinéad O'Connor's 1990 sophomore release I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got holds so much more than the hit single that it became known for.  From the climactic "Feel So Different" to the vocal title track, I feel like this album really captures the political, emotional, and sometimes radical Sinéad O'Connor.


No comments:

Post a Comment