Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Ting Tings - Hands

The indie pop duo that invaded Top 40 radio with "That's Not My Name" is back with a new single.  The first track from their upcoming album Kunst, which is German for "art", is the infectious "Hands".  The single is a new direction for the band.  Their debut album, We Started Nothing, had more alternative rock influences to add to the pop.  This single gives a sign that the band is moving more towards the electro movement.  There is a prominent use of synths, an instrument that was rare on their debut.  At times the song sounds similar to another duo who gained massive recognition lately, none other than La Roux.  The song has a great melody and beat that will stay with you for an endless amount of hours.

The chorus consists of the line, "Clap your hands if you're working too hard.".  When I first heard the chorus, I found it to be a bit cliché and cheesy.  After a few listens, however, I was singing along to it.  The song has a lot of potential for radio play.

"Hands" seems like a summer single.  If the group had managed to release the song a month earlier, then it could have been in daily rotation with Katy Perry and Usher.  It just has that summer feeling.  Either way, "Hands" is a great sign for the soon to be released Kunst.  It's a new and positive style for The Ting Tings.  Until the song is officially released, you can hear to the "Low Sunday" remix of the single below.


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I think that this song would be a nice change from Teenage Dream or Your Love is My Drug. I would love to have this song stuck in my head, because it's so different from their old music.

    ReplyDelete