Thursday, August 12, 2010

Selena Gomez & The Scene - Round & Round

One of the most recent, and popular, additions to the long chain of Disney based artists is Selena Gomez.  Instead of taking the solo route, she formed a band and together they became Selena Gomez & The Scene. Their debut album, Kiss & Tell, charted in the top ten of the Billboard 200 and proved to be a commercial success.  Soon after its release, the album was certified Gold by the RIAA and spawned the certified Platinum single, "Naturally".  With these impressive accomplishments already in the bands career, can they grow even bigger with a wider audience?  If "Round & Round" is a sign of what's to come, then they might need to re-think their strategy.

The song is unfortunately nowhere near as solid as "Naturally".  Their previous radio hit was incredibly catchy and managed to reach #29 on the Billboard Hot 100.  "Round & Round" may have managed to climbed even higher at #24, but it lacks in the energy that "Naturally" had.  The hook is a repetition of the title line.  It gets tiring towards the end of the song.  The bridge is one of the most interesting parts of the track.  It's more of a spoken section that offers some variety to the song.

I really feel that Selena should continue to push the "band" image as she already is.  But in order to have less of a solo image, she needs to step back out of the spotlight and showcase the rest of the group.  It still feels like this is only Selena Gomez with a nameless backing band for live performances.  I'm sure that hardcore fans of the band will enjoy the song, although "Round & Round" is lacking in some areas. Even if the song isn't perfect, I would still listen to Selena over Miley any day.

2 comments:

  1. I can't stand the chorus, but I absolutely love the verses and bridge. The chorus is... musically lacking, and annoying. But the rest is catchy. Too bad that the chorus didn't take inspiration from the rest of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree, probably because I'm a big Selena Gomez fan, singing and acting. I thought that the song was catchy and stuck in my head after I listened to it, but like I said, that's probably because I'm a fan of her work.

    ReplyDelete