Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sinéad O'Connor - Take Me To Church


Sinéad O'Connor is one of those artists that I discovered a few years ago and absolutely fell in love with.  That makes me sound excruciatingly young, but it wasn't so long ago that I only knew of Sinéad's name from her version of "Nothing Compares 2 U".  It was her second album, I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, that really struck me.  Even to this day, the politically charged and highly emotional album sounds as fresh and relevant as ever.

Sinéad's career after that record has been scattered and experimental.  Her third album, Am I Not Your Girl?, would be a collection of jazz standards.  In 2005, she released Throw Down Your Arms, a reggae record.  That sense of musical diversity and freedom has made her an unpredictable artist, and quite honestly, it's exciting to see what's to come.


On August 11, Sinéad O'Connor will release her tenth album, I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss.  The album artwork features a polished photo of Sinéad wielding a guitar and wearing a dramatically black bob instead of that signature shaven head.  It's drastic and intriguing, but what will the music sound like?  Well, NPR has debuted the album's lead single and it's called "Take Me To Church".

"Take Me To Church" builds and builds momentum through a guitar driven production.  Speaking of production, John Reynolds tackled the album, and it's very low-key for the most part.  The single features some surprisingly tame vocals when compared to Sinéad's recognizable and distinct howl.  You can stream "Take Me To Church" below and pre-order a signed copy of the upcoming album over at Sinéad's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment