Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Lorde - The Love Club / Tennis Court


Last week, I finally sat down and searched "Lorde" on Youtube.  Prior to this search, I had no knowledge of who or what Lorde was.  It was simply a name that had been floating around my Twitter stream at an above average rate.  The first results that I watched were the music video for "Royals", followed by the "Tennis Court" video.  A few days have gone by since I watched those videos and now I can't stop listening to Lorde.

It turns out that Lorde is the stage name of Ella Yelich-O'Connor.  She's from New Zealand and happens to be sixteen years old.  I have to say it was pretty shocking to discover that she's so young.  Age aside, her first release was an EP called The Love Club.  It was posted online last year and saw an official release just a few months ago.  The lead single "Royals" went to number one in New Zealand and her next single "Tennis Court" followed the same pattern.


I find it amazing that, as a new artist, she's managed to find such a distinct sound.  Lorde is creating music with a mature production style while still capturing something youthful.  She might be sixteen, but the songs sound like someone who takes their art seriously.  You know what I mean?

To wrap things up, Lorde is a stunning discovery and I'm so glad that I took the time to check out her music.  You should definitely give her a listen and maybe even download an album or two, if you feel like it.  Just don't be surprised when Lorde becomes the next big thing to take over the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment