Thursday, August 15, 2013

Betty Who - The Movement


Over the past few weeks, one album in particular has been glued to my brain. This album, or EP to be more specific, contains some of the most exciting pop music I've heard in quite some time.  I know I'm always ranting about the big names like Robyn or Gaga, but this record is something to be recognized.

Betty Who's The Movement actually came out earlier this year, but I've recently found it.  It consists of four spectacular and infectious pop singles.  I say "singles" instead of "songs", because every track on the debut could be a hit on some level.  The opening single, "Somebody Loves You", is an eighties tinged dance piece and probably packs the most power upon first listen.  Actually, the entire album sounds eighties inspired to a certain extent, whether immediately obvious or not.  "You're In Love" falls into the mid-tempo range and reminds me of something Katy Perry would pounce on if given the chance.


My current favorite song on The Movement is "Right Here".  It's more reserved, approaching with a method of simplicity by placing the focus on a powerful vocal.  The instrumental is also mellowed out when compared to the rest of the album, but it's true that less can really be more.  The album's closer is "High Society".  I find myself singing this one throughout the day without notice.  A line like "We'll drink Chardonnay through the day cause we say so..." has never been more contagious.

Another great detail about The Movement is the fact that it's completely free. That's right.  Betty Who has all four songs posted on her website free of charge to download as you please.  You can also use the Soundcloud player below to grab the songs.  Check out the music video for "Somebody Loves You" while you're at it.  If you're really enjoying the music, then head this way to buy a Betty Who shirt perfect for wearing while dancing.



No comments:

Post a Comment