Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Best Of '09"

Okay, so I've been looking at several "Best Of '09" lists that are posted on various websites, everyone makes one.  They're the popular thing to do at the end of any year, you know that.  It's very strange because, after seeing them, I've determined that I either...

A. Don't listen to any "good" music
B. Noticed that every list focuses on unknown hip "indie" stuff
C. Read bad "Best Of '09" lists
D. Need to expand my musical horizons
E. Am obviously the one who listens to good music, they just don't know it

...or a mix of several of those answers.  I read over these lists with a confused look on my face.  What is this stuff?  Some of the lists I've read are Amazon, Pitchfork, and Rolling Stone.  I'll show you some of my thoughts on each list.

Amazon

Out of all the albums I've heard 5 of them in their entirety.

Muse - The Resistance
Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
Silversun Pickups - Swoon
Imogen Heap - Ellipse
Yeah Yeah Yeah's  - It's Blitz!
 
Not too impressive.  I've also heard bits and pieces from plenty of the others.

Song list score: 23 out of 100...

Pitchfork

There's only one album I've heard, It's Blitz!.  As I said earlier, what is this stuff?  I've barely heard of any of it.  I mean I know stuff like:  Bat For Lashes, Phoenix, and Neko Case, but I've never listened to the entire albums.  Nah, Pitchfork always lists crazy obscure things like this.

Song List Score: I think I'll pass...

Rolling Stone

I've pretty much given up at this point.  It's almost the same as Amazon on the albums list.  Song wise, I'm better.  13 out of 25.  Oh, yeah...

After it all, my readings lead me to discover that:

1. Pitchfork listens to some of the strangest things
2. Every list has the same couple albums
3. I shouldn't read these lists

No comments:

Post a Comment