Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday I'm In Love - 13/9/13


Friday I'm In Love is a weekly feature.
Highlights of what I loved over the past week.
Week = Friday to Friday.
May include things of a non-musical variety.

The quantity of album releases on September 10

For some reason, everyone and their brother decided it would be a good week to release their new album.  To name a few, Janelle Monáe, Arctic Monkeys, Goldfrapp, and Body/Head.  Those are just my personal favorites and the general list goes on and on.  I'm not sure if September 10 is some unspoken prime date for sales numbers or if it's just coincidence, but I don't care... I love it.

To say a few words about Janelle Monáe's new record, The Electric Lady is the multi-disc continuation of her android epic.  Loaded with guest appearances, it's a heavy task upon first listen.  As if it wouldn't be enough to feature Erykah Badu, Solange, Miguel, and Esperanza Spalding, Janelle Monáe actually managed to get Prince on her album.  Yes, "Givin Em What They Love" is a Prince collaboration.  Connected by interludes and overtures, The Electric Lady is an extravagant idea.

Keep reading to check out some music from each of the four records mentioned above, along with links to purchase them.


No comments:

Post a Comment