Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Pretty Reckless - EP

I wrote about The Pretty Reckless when they released their debut single, "Make Me Wanna Die".  This new rock band is led by the young Taylor Momsen.  Their self titled EP, which was released today, contains the band's lead single along with three new tracks that give The Pretty Reckless an even more promising future.

The first track, "Make Me Wanna Die", is the obvious choice for a single.  It's very radio friendly for modern rock stations.  For a more in depth review of the song, check out my post about it, here.  The second song is "My Medicine".  This song shows off Momsen's vocals and presence much better than the lead single.  The attitude in the vocal performance is enough to make it my favorite song on the EP.

The third song is "Goin' Down".  It's much heavier than the previous two.  Being very similar of 90's hard rock and grunge, the band, specifically the drummer, really shines through on this track.  With the lyrics, "Hey there father I don't wanna bother you, but I've got a sin to confess. I'm just sixteen if you know what I mean, do you mind if I take off my dress?", you can really see the young, rebellious, and more dangerous side of Momsen.

The final song, "Zombie", can only be found on the physical version of the EP.  It's definitely worth skipping iTunes for this song.  It's similar to "Make Me Wanna Die" in terms of theme.  "Zombie" is dark and heavy.

The Pretty Reckless will release their debut full length album, Light Me Up, later this year.  I would, without a doubt, give this EP a listen.  The physical disc containing "Zombie" is available only on the Warped Tour and at Hot Topic, but the extra song is a good incentive to pick it up.  The Pretty Reckless have quickly become one of my favorite new bands.  If they can match the power of this EP on Light Me Up, then you're in for a great album.

No comments:

Post a Comment