Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ludovico Einaudi - Andare

I believe this is my first blog post about a song of the classical genre.  I felt I was obligated to talk about this song in particular.  Andare is one of my favorite pieces from a contemporary composer.  The song is written and performed by Ludovico Einaudi, an Italian composer and pianist.  This song, which is from the album Divenire,  contains a sole piano and minimal strings.  It sounds as though there is a violin, viola, and a cello, maybe more.  It's a lengthy piece, clocking in at over seven minutes.  The piece isn't an overly complicated piano exercise with a full orchestra behind it.  I think that's what makes it good.  It's very modern in style, but it still has a lasting appeal.  The emotional tone of the song changes frequently.  At parts it sounds like anger, sorrow, and despair others motivation and maybe even relief.  It captivated me the first time I heard it.  After listening to it, you might be left in awe... or not.  It all depends on if you're really listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment